Thursday, June 14, 2012

Review: Enshadowed

Book: Enshadowed
Author: Kelly Creagh
Series: Nevermore #2
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Atheneum
Pages: 429
Source: publisher (Thank you so much!)
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Amazon CA | The Book Depository | Chapters
Stars: 5/5
Varen Nethers is trapped in a perilous dream world -- a treacherous and desolate realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. Isobel Lanley, plagued by strange visions and haunted by the nightmares of Varen's creation, is the only one who can save him.

Isobel knows that her only hope lies within a Baltimore cemetery. There, in the early morning hours of Edgar Allan Poe's birthday, a mysterious stranger known as the "Poe Toaster" will make his annual homage at the legendary poet's grave.


Only the Poe Toaster holds the key to the way between worlds. But even greater dangers lie ahead for Isobel. An ancient evil, draped in veils of white, is watching, challenging her for Varen's affections. When Isobel finally finds Varen, he is no longer the quiet and brooding boy who once captivated her, but a dark force, powerful and malevolent.


(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Maybe it's a little early to post my review for this, but I couldn't help it because this kind of love needs to be shared! Enshadowed isn't just about Varen and Isobel being together; it's about them being apart and fighting all the shadows — literally — to reunite. It's less about school life, more about the haunting dreamworld we only got a glimpse of in book one. In short: I loved Nevermore, but this installment just blew me away!

Some people may not be satisfied since Varen is mostly stuck in his dreamworld, struggling to return to Isobel, but I thought it was PERFECT. It shows, rather than tells, how much Isobel is willing to go through for him. The things she endures — like being tormented by dream monsters as well as real ones — all broke my heart like a recorded accident replaying over and over again on the news.

Isobel is my HERO. I love her so much! She's more than the beautiful blond cheerleader stereotype she was growing out of in Nevermore. She's sent tumbling into Varen's literal nightmare head first — with its horrifying shadows and monsters — but she still manages to right herself before she hits that harsh impact of a climax. Isobel is strong and determined and brave and so, so brilliantly written. Aching for her is mandatory, not an option!

But even though Varen isn't as present in Isobel's real life, he's still in her mind, her heart, her dreams, and her mirrors. They still make up one of my all-time favourite couples — not just because they trump the whole cheerleader-and-goth stereotype, but because their heart-wrenching and twisted journey proves how much they belong together.
     Unable to resist, Isobel hugged the jacket close, rewarded with a scent that seized her heart like a clenched fist.
     It smelled like him. God. It still smelled like him. (page 319 in the ARC)
Izzy's hilarious friend Gwen is back with all of her gothic quirkiness. And her dad also plays an important role in this book, as do her mother and adorable little brother Danny. You can see how much her family cares about her, and that's what makes watching Isobel claw through shadows so much harder.

With the beautifully dark storyline and Kelly Creagh's hauntingly dream-like writing, Enshadowed makes my favourites shelf right next to Nevermore! The ending just about broke me, unhinged me, and waiting for the next one is going to be torture — but I've already decided that waiting for anything that Kelly Creagh writes is well darn worth it!

BUY or BORROW?: Sometimes I wonder why I even ask this question. Buy for sure, please! ;)

-Mimi

So you can witness firsthand how beautiful the writing is, here's one of my favourite quotes! :)
     "Is — is any of this real?" she asked. "Are you real?"
     He lifted a hand to her cheek, his fingers brushing her jaw.
     "Even if this is a dream," he whispered, "I'm not."
     Isobel's eyes widened, recognizing those words as her own, the same ones she had once uttered to him. She reached for him, her arms twining around his neck, drawing him closer so his scent poured over her, that combination of incense, citrus, and dried leaves overriding the funeral funeral smell of the crowding flowers.
     "Don't leave," she breathed.
     "I'm here," he whispered. "Right here. Waiting." (page 16 in the ARC)

37 comments:

  1. I'm reading this right now so I'm not going to read your review until I am finished and written mine cause otherwise I might accidentally steal your brilliant words :-D LOL But I loved the first one and this one is starting slow but hopefully it will get better as it goes like the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since you posted the teaser on goodread, I have been looking forward to your enshadowed review! I love the way you described the writing and why you like Isobel. I love learning that most of I and V's interactions are in that amazing dreamworld. Wonderful review!!! :;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wohooo! :D
    I'm so glad you ended up loving it, Mimi.
    I know you've been really pining for the release of this book and it's great that the wait was worth it. :)
    I still need to read the first book, but this review has me convinced that I'm really missing out. :)
    The main character seems absolutely amazing. :D I really hope I like her too ! :D
    Great exciting review, Mimi ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, Mimi, this is such an amazing review! I don't know how to explain it, but I can totally tell that you a)loved this book beyond words and b)that it inspired you to write the best review possible. Since that always happens to me with Maggie Stiefvater and I know the feeling that accompanies it, I must say I'm very happy for you.
    I was unsure about this book. Nevermore was gorgeous, but the more I thought abut it, the murkier it became and I ended up not knowing whether I actually liked it or not, which is totally weird, I know. However, knowing that the second installment offers even more than the first convinces me that I have to read it as soon as possible. I am all in favor of showing instead of telling, and I'm glad Isobel gets to really demostrate how much she cares for Varen.
    Thank you for this amazing review, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Mimi I don't even know how to begin to tell you just how much I love this review. Amazing, Mimi!! <3 The extracts you included were BEAUTIFUL and I really, really want to read this NOW! I LOVE LOVE LOVED Nevermore, so I am SO there when this one is released!! Isobel is amazing. I agree!! She is definitely one of my book role-models too!! :) The writing is just magical, Kelly is so so amazing, no?? Awesome review, Mimi-doll, as usual. Wow Mimi you have such a way with words, girl!! It's a gift and every single one of your reviews is so awesome and is the perfect mix of gushing, seriousness, fan-girling, passion, and every other good thing!! :')

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh DeAR!!!
    You killed me with this early review sniff!! I got this book last week in the mail and I was like O_O! omg!! I can't believe S&S sent me this!! I LOVED Nevermore and the wait for this book has been a torture but it's finally now on my shelf... I still cant believe it!! Im SO diving into it next week!Oh dear, Im so glad that this is a total different type of romance! the thing about being apart and seeing a totally different perspective of what we usually have in YA books, plus the dream-like writing you mention and the Poe background is definitely the perfect mix!
    I love Kelley Creagh and now with you confirmation of how awesome this book is, I will probably place Kelley among my favorite authors! (the ones you'll read everything and anything they publish!)

    thnx so much for sharing this amazing review!! I hope you'll post it again one the book comes out. It will help so much to buzz this author and amazing series by the time Enshadowed hits the shelf! Let's make it a best seller! My hard copy has been pre-ordered already ^______^ yay!!! It will look beautiful besides Never and OH Varen!! <3 <3 <3 I'd like to have a gigantic picture of the book cover in my room XD (isn't the dude on the cover totally super hot?) lol

    take care sweetheart!! I havent been in your blog for a while because I was out of the city for a week! ^.^

    XOXOXOXOXO

    take care and hope u r doing awesome my dear! muah!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It will look beautiful besides NeverMORE***" lol! I forgot the more* lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aogjfbkjdngkvudfkjg! That is all I can think to say right now! Gah, Mimi this sounds like perfection! I cannot wait to read this! And that quote? DEAD.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, the quotes make me swoon! <3 Love your review, Mimi! I was a bit hesitant to pick this series but your review definitely convince me! So glad to hear the story doesn't sound anything like cheerleader-goth-romance LOL! x) I really like the cover too - so BEAUTIFUL! <3

    Gorgeous review like always, Mimi! I honestly don't know how you can come out with so many amazing reviews hehe! x) Must be your ever-creative mind! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still haven't read Nevermore yet but I WILL GET TO IT! I'm thinking maybe wait until it's closer to Enshadowed's release date so I can barrel through them both. You had me at dreamworld, I'm obsessed with that concept. Isobel sounds like a wonderful heroine, I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AHHHHHHH! I can't believe you've read this already! I'M SO JEALOUS!!!! I loved Nevermore so so much, I cannot wait to get my hands on this! Those few quotes you posted pretty much made me melt and now I have to wait all the way till August to find out what happens. *shakes fist at Mimi*

    Seriously though, thank you for this review, it's a nice way to tide me over until I can grab Varen for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok .. I here and now admit tearing up reading your review and those quotes! Yes silly me!

    I looved Nevermore so freaking much and I was heartbroken that it took forever to get the sequel out. Also, I was scared I would not love the sequel so much!! You give me hope that I will be as excited about this one as I was about Nevermore! There couldn't be any more beautiful characters and I need them to be together! Loved this Goth - cheer mix, it was absolutely perfect for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. BRILLIANT review, Mimi! Isobel sounds great, I'd love to meet her.(:
    And the quote at the end is written beautifully.<3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my god, Mimi, if your review could've been anymore beautiful, I think I might've cried! <33333 (': I'm SO excited for this book that anything I say about it doesn't seem good enough because Nevermore was freaking amazing; hearing that the long-awaited sequel (and I mean LONG-AWAITED!) is worth five of your brilliant stars... *wipes tears of joy away* Gah, I'm so pumped to meet Varen and Isobel and Gwen and Danny again!!! Those quotes broke my heart and reminded me why Kelly Creagh is a brilliant poet behind the scenes! Her writing is GORGEOUS... and so is your review!

    I feel like I'm flinging compliments at you for this, but I just can't help it because this made me SO damn excited!! FANTABULOUS REVIEW, Mimi! You. Are. A. DOLL! <333333 (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! Fantastic review Mimi! I seriously can't wait to read this one, it sounds like it's going to be the BEST (I can't believe I haven't started this series yet, but I am now!)!

    Thank you for sharing - have a great weekend! <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww Mimi!!! This looks so awesome!! :) :) OMG and your review is so so beautiful <3 <3 WOW. I should pick this up definitely ;) ;)

    ILY :* <3

    PS. My English exam was today and I think it went ok. I mean, in general I have a good feeling about it. With some luck :P We'll see in 13 days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG!!! I'm so jealous that you got to read the book!!! Total fan-girling on the teaser! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my dear...*fans self* Wonderful quotes and awesome review, Mimi. Gah, I need this one NOW! I just recently finished Nevermore so I haven't been waiting nearly as long as a lot of other people, but STILL. I love Isobel and Varen and her family and Gwen, and just all of them!! My review for Nevermore will be up soon and you can betcha I'll be moaning my lack of Enshadowed. LOL I'm so glad you loved this one. It sounds amazing and haunting and beautiful and oh so swoon-worthy.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow I love your review and you really make me want to start the series. I didn't know this one but it sounds so nice. thank you so much for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh Mimi!! Your killing me with you're amazing review. I NEED this book immediately if not sooner. Gosh, I could just die over these quotes! I can't wait to read this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoa. One of your all time favorite couples?! *furiously takes notes*

    Yikes! This release date is just around the corner, and I still have yet to read Nevermore! Why am I so full of fail? Rhetorical question, you don't have to answer.

    Isobel sounds amazing like the type of character I'd definitely find myself admiring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really really want to read this review properly but I'm worried it may spoil things as I haven't picked up Nevermore yet, but the quotes... gosh you definitely know how to tempt a person! I want to fling my reading schedule out the window and read Nevermore NOW!! I will be back and read this when I've finished I'm sure it's a wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad that you liked it so much! I love it when you end up with such an awesome book. That is something that can really makes me happy :D I haven't read Nevermore, but I have no reason to keep it waiting for me! I will read it as soon as possible, so I can start this one. Thaaaaaanks for the fan-girl review. I like them so much :P

    ReplyDelete
  24. i sooo need to read nevermore
    i must read it
    great review mimi

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been waiting to hear more about this sequel. I remember really enjoying Nevermore and I feel like this book was supposed to come out earlier so it's just been torture waiting for its release (and we still have a couple of months to go). I like how it sounds like the plot so fully supports the title-Isobel fighting shadows means that she is enshadowed. Some books seem to have random names sometimes but this one sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my god, Mimi. MIMI!!! You're killing me here! I knew I was eager to read this, but hell, you've made me SO DESPERATE. It's even more amazing than Nevermore? You all time favourites shelf?! AN ENDING THAT UNHINGED YOU?! *splutters* Your love just EXUDES off this review, it's so obvious that this novel did crazy things to your emotions. Even though... Varen *sob*... I'm glad Isobel's time without him, trying to save him, is so amazingly explored. I feel my heart already cracking for her <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't believe you got your hands on this one already!!!! I'm DYING to read it! I absolutely fell head over heels for Nevermore and cannot WAIT to read this book! I'm so excited I think I'm quivering. I seriously am counting down the days until this one releases. And I'm so glad it was so amazing and not a let down! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds dreamy! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So...I'm like one of the biggest Edgar Allan Poe fans EVER. And I STILL haven't read Nevermore. I've even had a copy on my shelf since it came out. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!?! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Where have I been? I so have to get on reading this series!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ohmygod this is torture! How could you post this review now, Mimi?? I love, love, loved Nevermore and it sucks so much that it takes so long for this to be released. I can't wait to read more about Varen and Isobel!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh smacking head! I still need to read Nevermore! I have wanted to read it for so long...I mean a Poe retelling.,Hopefully I will get it squeezed in before this releases because this sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  33. AAAA! I haven't read Nevermore too! I was never actually interested in reading it but after checking out this review, you make me want to read the first book so badly!

    Awesome review, Mimi! <3 Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I didn't read the full review because I don't want spoilers...but - OMG MIMI!! I want to read these SO BADLY!! It sounds so utterly passionate and romantic! The writing from those quotes is beautiful!! The covers are gorgeous! OMG! Soooooo excited!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. OHMYGOSH MIMI! You sure know how to make a girl DESPERATE to read a book! I haven't read Nevermore yet- but based on your excitement for the second book and now your gushy review, I've decided that reading Nevermore is now a PRIORITY!

    Oh gosh, THOSE QUOTES! *SQUEALLS* ISOBEL AND VAREN!!!!!!! I MUST READ ABOUT THEIR STORY IN NEVERMORE! MIMIIIIIIIIIII! FABULOUS REVIEW<3 I'm soooo glad you LOVEDDDD this! I'm going to stalk Aussie Bookstores online to see if they have copies of Nevermore<3

    ReplyDelete
  36. I would have never heard of Nevermore if I hadn't seen it in the library. When I first the saw the cover I thougt it looked ok for a book but I really needed a book to read I said "What the heck, why not," I am so glad I picked up this book. It was beautifuly written and I love Varen and Isobel. It was the best book I read in 2011 and I can not wait for Enshadowed!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!